Nov 18, 2012

NICU Graduates


We are so fortunate that my mom was able to come out here for the past month.  I'm not sure what we would have done without her.  She took care of me after my c-section.  She did our laundry.  She cooked and cleaned.  She took Jack and Luke to the park and watched them everyday so that Jay and I could be at the hospital with the babies.  I'm 30 years old and I still need my mom :) 

We took her to Gettysburg because we wanted her to get to do something fun while she was here.  We had a great time!  My dad came out last week to see the babies and to collect my mother :)  Jack and Luke were so happy to have Grandpa around for a few days :)  They left on Saturday and we have been on our own for two days.  It feels a little weird.  Luckily, Grandma Holly is coming tomorrow!  The boys are so excited and we are so grateful that we have family to help us until the babies come home :)



This week, our boys graduated from the NICU!!!  WAHOO!!!  They are now in the Intermediate Care Nursery.  Basically, they have the same care as they did in the NICU, but the babies in the IMC are more stable and really just there to finish growing :)  We are so pleased with their progress!

Jay and Charlie.  Don't be fooled by the size of him.  There are 2 blankets wrapped around him.  He is still the size of a squirrel :)


 Tripp holding my hand.


Here is Charlie without his nasal cannula!!  He was breathing without it for about 2 days, but his oxygen saturation wasn't staying high enough so he had to go back on.  At least his sore little nose got a break for a few days.  

  

 Here is our little corner of the NICU.  It really is starting to feel like a second home.  Even the security guards recognize us.  We are becoming part of the hospital family :)

 

Tripp also had to go back on the nasal cannula.  He was off for about 4 days, but they just get really tired of doing it all on their own.  His red blood cell count was also low, so he had to have a blood transfusion.  That has helped his oxygen levels quite a bit, so hopefully he can try again without the cannula.  He LOVES his binky!  Which is a good sign that he might be able to try bottle feeding soon.

(Charlie loves his binky too, but he gets distracted by it and forgets to breathe :)  He hasn't learned to multitask yet.)


Charlie after his bath getting his hair combed.  So cute!


When I hold the boys together, they throw a few punches, make a few squeaks, and then they calm down and snuggle right in :)  They are such boys.  Wrestle = Love.  (Charlie on the left, Tripp on the right)


Tripp is now 3 lbs. 9 oz. and Charlie is 3 lbs. 4 oz.  What little chubbers! 


As for these two, yes, they still exist :)  Unfortunately they aren't getting much blog time.  They have been such troopers through this whole thing.  Jack has been such a great brother to Luke.  They really are great friends. 

Jack has been busy perfecting his dance moves.  He really is pretty good.  Once things calm down I should think about getting him into something.  And Luke has become obsessed with the Lumineers song "Ho Hey".  He walks around the house all day yelling, "Ho!!  Hey!!!"  They are pretty cute and we can't wait for our house to be overrun with all of our little men soon :)


6 comments:

Amy and Barry said...

The boys are cute, but YOU look amazing! Do people even believe you when you tell them you had TWINS?! Yay for grandmas, they are the best! Glad the boys are making such good progress! I'm not sure how you can tell them apart, but I'm sure you can. :)

Julie said...

Holy cuteness!!! They look huge since I saw them! They are getting some meat on their bones. The picture with them together is so awesome! I love all those stinky boys!

Natalie said...

I can't believe how quickly those boys are jumping hurtles and making advances and GROWING! They look fantastic and so, so adorable.

And I second Amy's comment, you look FABULOUS! Holy cow girl, I hope I look that good after pushing my little peanut out in a few weeks! Go you!

I'm just so glad the boys are doing well, both sets! The twins and the big brothers. And thats okay if they have to get help breathing sometimes, they're building up those muscles and growing stronger everyday. They just need a break every now and then. They are SUCH troopers and so are you guys. Its hard to have babies in the hospital but you guys seem to be doing so well. And to have all that family support, what a huge blessing. :D

I remember all the hospital stays and now whenever we visit a hospital, the smell just makes all those memories flood back. I wouldn't say its all negative, its just funny how much we associate smell with memories.

Well, congrats on the graduation to IMC! So cool. Your boys are the BOMB! Good on ya!

We love you guys and we continue to pray for you all. Here's to many more advances and their first trip home SOON! Kiss those babies for me!

-Natalie

Lisa said...

Yeah for Grandmas! Seriously, what wold we do without them. I'm so glad to hear that they are growing and have been moved. What little troopers ALL your boys are. Hang in there mama! You are doing a good job.

Mandi said...

Pretty much love how you have your hand on Abe Lincoln's thigh! Thanks for taking time to blog and post pictures. I love seeing their progress.

Hannah Durrant said...

Great to see your sweet little guys doing so well!! I'm glad to hear Jack and Luke are hangin' in there too! We love you guys and continue to pray for you! You do look really good Linz by the way!
Can't wait to meet your little guys! Give Jack and Luke a squeeze for me!