Nov 22, 2009

Binkie Free

We are now binkie free in our house, thanks to Jay. He was very concerned that Jack still used his pacifier for naps and bedtime and decided that Jack should give it up cold turkey. So, a few weeks ago he took them all out of his crib, put him to bed, and we haven't heard about them since. I think I was probably more attached to them than Jack. I was really nervous and thought he would wake up all night crying, but he really could have cared less. Good work, Jay! :) And Jack too, I suppose.


Since Jack is so grown up, I decided he might want to start potty-training. He has been telling me when he needs to poo (by patting his butt) so we went and bought him his own potty chair. First of all, he loves that it is a frog...probably should have gotten the plain one that looks like a toilet...and when we put him on it he thinks he is in time out. He won't get off and just cries. (His time out spot is a chair.) So, no potty training yet. I suppose we can wait a little longer. I just got my hopes up :(


He decided it made a much better chair to watch movies than to pee in. He dragged it from the bathroom to the living room and set up house.


If any of you know Jay, you know that chips and salsa are his favorite. He has passed down the love to Jack and almost every day they sit down together and have chips and salsa. Jack is a double dipper and his chip gets a little soggy, but he loves it. Even when it is too hot and his eyes and nose are running and he is coughing, he just keeps dipping.


Jack fell against our headboard a few weeks ago and gave himself a pretty sweet fat lip. Notice the top teeth marks on his bottom lip. I'm just glad he didn't bite all the way through.


Jack is a pretty inventive little guy and fairly good at amusing himself. The other day I was in the kitchen making dinner. I opened up the pantry because he likes to play in the cans. I turned around to check on him and he was getting out the box that my food processor is in. He pushed it against the wall, then grabbed a big can of dried apples. He sat down on the processor and pulled the can toward him with his feet and made himself a little recliner. It is now his favorite seat in the house, besides the potty chair.


Jack has just recently started watching TV. I'm not going to lie, sometimes I think the TV is heaven sent. Does that make me a bad mom?

And lastly, this is my house at the end of the day. Naked kid....toys everywhere. I realize that Jack is in his diaper in most of the pictures. He really does wear clothes most of the time. I promise :)


Here are two videos, one of Jack a little slap-happy and one of his new favorite thing.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Love me some "baby Jack!" You are doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, you did not just ask the question "am I a bad mom because I let my kid watch TV?" I mean, have you even talked to me in the last 12 months? TV is like the only way I get anything done. So, if PBS is bad, I must be going straight to Hell :)

Tutu Qute said...

Yay for no binki's we got rid of the bottle last month. She only had one a day but still, now she just get's binkis at nap/bedtime and meltdowns in public. But she is just getting teeth still and I feel bad for her. So maybe after she gets them. LOL

I wouldn't let Cosette watch tv until a month or so ago and she doesn't watch a lot but she likes it, and she really likes the signing time videos even though I don't think she really needs them because she talks pretty good.

I love your little Jack, I wish we were closer now they are at the age of playdates. :(

Lisa said...

Binkies are a blessing, because you can just throw them away. You can't cut off a thumb! TV is easy, and it doesn't make you a bad mom, just make sure he doesn't watch too much. Learn from my mistake....my kids are addicted. Reading? What's that?

Amy and Barry said...

He is SO cute and that laugh is adorable! Ah, it almost makes me want one...almost. :)

Becca said...

I'm jealous. I tried to take claire's away. It's didn't go well. After two weeks of screaming "my B" I caved and gave it back so I could have nap time back. But, we might be close to potty training, so that's good.