Dec 10, 2009

My One Beauty

Sometimes I use Virginia as a swear word. Like when I stepped on Jack's space shuttle and it nearly put a hole in my foot "Holy Virginia, that hurt!", or when the sidewalk just ends out of the blue "Virginia!", or when I found out that they don't carry tostada shells at my grocery store "Ahh, Virginia!". Honestly, I can fry up corn tortillas and make the tostadas myself, but that isn't the point. The point is that I have had to make a few adjustments since moving here that I didn't feel like making. One of the adjustments I found out about yesterday. You know in "Little Women" when Jo cuts off her hair for money, then Amy says, "Oh Jo, your one beauty!"? Well, my one beauty is my ability to make probably the best sugar cookies ever. Well, according to yesterday's disaster, that is no longer an ability of mine. Is it the altitude? Have I just lost my touch? Why were they so flat and looked like blobs instead of shapes? I triple checked the recipe and didn't miss a thing. I suppose I should try again and make a few adjustments....but I just don't have the heart yet. So, for those of you that were expecting Christmas cookies from us this year, please lower your expectations. You may be getting caramel corn.

11 comments:

Liz said...

I had the same problem when I moved back east. I've had to add more flour and leavening agents (baking soda, baking powder, eggs, etc). I've also found that I shouldn't bake when it's raining, foggy, or humid. I had to experiment with each recipe until I could get it "east coast right". Peter was patient, and now he's very glad I didn't give up. Give them a second chance, the world NEEDS your sugar cookies.

Anonymous said...

Even if your sugar cookies don't turn out, you have like a gazillion other treats on our "holy crap that is the best thing I ever tasted" list. You can do it!

Lisa said...

It's the altitude or lack there of...

Amy and Barry said...

Liz said everything I was going to. So ditto her! :)

ThE CrAZy GaTEs! said...

hmm... I'm a little dissapointed in ya lindsaylou.. :)

Tutu Qute said...

Oh my gosh I looked at your title and thought Hmmm I wonder if she's talking about Little Women. LOL

Emily said...

I gave up on sugar cookies long ago... chocolate chip cookies are harder to mess up I guess.

I think what Jami meant was "Holy Virgina! That is the best thing I ever tasted" I love that. Youre so awesome lindsay.

Anonymous said...

I long as I get some of that sweet fudge you make, I'll be able to deal with the lose of the sugar cookies-scott

Cody said...

somehow i ended up saying "schlotzsky's deli" instead of swearing. ya, i say both words because just "schlotzsky's" wouldn't be enough.... i guess.

Julie said...

My evil plan is working..... If I can't have your cookies then no one can! ha ha ha ha (my evil laugh!!)

Sabrina said...

You can get tostada shells at any Latin grocery store on Rt. 1...just thought I would let ya know.