Sep 1, 2010

Quirks

Most of you know that I have a few quirks. Who doesn't? I have come to realize that I am a homebody and a recluse....just a little. Years ago I would have been mortified if anyone knew I would rather stay home in my sweat pants than go out. Now, I feel pretty good about it :) Jay on the other hand is a social being and LOVES to have anyone over anytime or go anywhere anytime. He never gets irritated when people just drop by or when they call to do something spur of the moment. I like to have at least 2 days notice....for everything. I don't like when people just drop by and my house is trashed and I have Jack's snot smeared all over my shirt. I love my privacy and I love people to think that my house is always clean and that I always just made cookies. Ha!

Living in the city has been a difficult adjustment for my reclusiveness (is that a word?). Our neighbors knock on the door all the time to see Jack. There are door-to-door salesmen, and the missionaries just love Jay so they stop by sometimes. Anyway, a few months ago we had a missionary that would call the house and say, "Hi Sister Durrant!! This is Elder _______! I can see you in your kitchen right now! We are just downstairs. Is Brother Durrant home?" Seriously. A couple of times he called and would tell me what he could see me doing. I told him to stop looking in our window and that it was creepy. I feel bad about being so blunt, but he quit doing it, so it worked :) Then, just the other day, Jack was down for a nap and Jay and I were in the living room reading. Our little neighbor had borrowed Jay's football earlier that day and just walked into our apartment to return it. No knock, no nothing. Good thing Jay and I were just reading! Now our door is locked at all times.

Jay told me I need to lighten up. I told him he needs to buy me a house in the country.....with a gate.

8 comments:

ThE CrAZy GaTEs! said...

agreed. a small cottage in Maryland is not too much to ask..

Wesley and Laureen said...

Our door is always locked and believe me... I love being in my lazy clothes. Wes will ask if I want to get out and do something, I just look at him like he has 3 heads.

Lisa said...

Amen! These days I have teenagers letting themselves in all the time. I'm glad the friends they feel comfortable enough to do that, but at the same time, I cant run around in my night gown or g's...

Brady & Ashley said...

Ha ha ha! You crack me up! I love that you will just say what all of us are thinking, and it's so true! People should be considerate enough to call before they just drop by unannounced!

Anonymous said...

Look out your window. I seeeee youuu... you're right therrrrre.....

Creeeeepppy! Also, I don't know how he could even see anything in your apartment. It's to high up if you ask me.

And yes, beach on Monday.

The Anderson's said...

I laughed so hard I was crying. That is the same way I feel. Christian barely got me out of the house when we were dating let alone already having my man.

Amy and Barry said...

Ba ha ha! I'm with you all the way. Our door is always locked...always. Even when I'm expecting company I know will walk right in to save me getting up to answer the door, especially then come to think of it. :)

Kate said...

that missionary...would have gotten an eye full if he was looking into my window. You know we have that "clothing optional" thing here...