Nov 10, 2012

Twinner Reunion


I can't even explain how crazy life is.  You just never know what is going to come next.  I suppose that is what keeps one from getting bored.   We have gone through a couple of roller coaster-moments in the past few weeks.   One day we are elated, the next day we are deflated.  I think this may be exactly what I needed.  I am such a planner and a control freak that it is good for me to learn to roll with the punches. 

We survived the hurricane!  We had a ton of rain and a few pretty good wind gusts, but really, that is about all we got.  We are so grateful as so many others were not as fortunate as us.  I don't think I have ever prayed so hard for the power to stay on.  We just bought a deep freezer to store all of the milk I pumped.  I didn't want all of those hours to go wasted.  We had one flicker of the lights and that was it.   We weren't able to go up to the hospital for a couple of days because Baltimore was partly flooded, but the nurses kept me well informed during the hurricane and they assured me that if their power went out, they had generators to keep the babies alive :)

Jack and Luke aren't allowed in the NICU so they haven't seen the babies yet.  Jack begged for us to take him to the hospital where he promised to wait quietly in the waiting room :)  We agreed to his terms and decided to have a fun outing on the way up.   We drive right through downtown Baltimore and the Inner Harbor to get to the hospital.  The harbor is lined with shops and restaurants and huge ships.  We took the boys to see the ships and have lunch.  Jack was in heaven.  Luke was mad that we wouldn't let him run around.  We took the boys to the hospital and Jack realized that waiting in the waiting room was pretty boring and it was ok for us to visit the babies without him next time :)








The babies have really been doing great.  A couple of weeks ago, the doctor told us that both boys have spiculated red blood cells.  Meaning, they aren't perfect circles.  They look like they have little bites taken out of them.  Most premature babies have some of these funny looking cells.  Usually around 5% of their red blood cells look like that.  Our babies have about 50% that look weird.  This put the doctors on alert and they started doing a few tests.  Jay and I both had our blood checked to see if we have that, which we don't.  So, they were concerned that the babies had a lipid disorder.  After a few consults with the doctors, I still had no idea what they were looking for or what any of it meant.  All I knew was that it could mean some really scary things for the babies.  We went through a week of worry and fear and sadness.  It was terrifying.  We prayed and prayed, and our families prayed and we fasted and we prayed some more.  Finally, the results came back and they were normal.

I have never felt such relief.  So, they still have weird shaped red blood cells, but they don't have the really scary disease :)  We will follow up with a Hematologist after they are discharged to make sure all is well with them.

The babies have the best nurses and doctors.  They are so intuitive and they really care about our boys.   Both Tripp and Charlie are busy babies.  They are excellent at pulling their feeding tubes out.  It frustrates their nurses, but they are impressed by their coordination :)  They can also move around quite a bit in their isolettes, which screws with their vitals.  The nurses have to strap them down to get them to stay put, so that the boys can sleep and grow :) 

Here is Tripp fast asleep.  Finally holding still. 


And here is Charlie.


And Charlie again.  They are growing so much that they have to keep going up in sizes for their hats.  They also graduated from ultra-preemie diapers to regular preemie diapers!  Wahoo!!


Here is Tripp trying to roll over.  I kept moving him and then he would just throw his head back where it was.  He knows what he wants I guess!


Here is Charlie in his seashell bikini :)  


Tripp made a giant leap this week and came off of his nasal cannula!  He is breathing completely on his own and doing very well so far!  There is a small possibility that he will have to go back on it because preemies get tired so fast and sometimes they need a break.   But, we are so proud of him :)  Plus, he is sooooo darling without all of that stuff shoved up his nose and taped around his face!


My mom got to hold Tripp today.  I think she is smitten with him.  How could she not be?  Both boys have what the nurses call a "toaster head".  Tripp's is worse than Charlie's.  Because it is easier for them to breathe lying on their bellies, their heads are always to the side.  The nurses are good about making sure they have equal time on each side of their head, but it just gets a little flat looking....like a piece of toast.  Eventually when they breathe better and they sleep on their backs, their heads should round out a bit.  Haha!


Doesn't he look like a little old man?  They even have wrinkly butts :)  So cute.


The big news today is that the babies were finally reunited with each other!!  They have had another baby between their isolettes in the NICU, so they haven't been able to be together.  Today the nurses moved their beds next to each other and I got to hold them both at the same time!! It was so precious to see them together.  They looked into each others eyes and made little noises....and then they held hands!!!!  Such a sweet little moment that I got to be there for.  However, holding two babies is not easy.  In fact, it is down right hard.  It is going to take a lot of practice.



Both boys are starting to put some weight on!  Charlie is 2 lb. 13 oz. and Tripp just hit 3 lbs! I go in every day to drop off my milk.  I'm like a personal dairy.   I'm thinking of going into business.  Anyone on the way to Baltimore that needs fresh milk, just leave a milk box outside and $20 :)




7 comments:

Stephanie Buckner said...

Such good news! Lindsey, you look great! I'm praying for you and your family! Keep us posted, as I love to see those cute boys of yours.

Julie said...

Oh man, seeing Tripp face just reinforced to me that Jay will have 4 mini me's. Good job growing boys, keep it up!

Amy and Barry said...

Oh my gosh, they held hands?! How precious! I think Tripp looks so much like Luke, he is so cute! You look AMAZING as always. :) Despite how difficult it was, you look quite natural holding those two.

Thanks for the post, I always love an update!

Lisa said...

I choked up when I read that they held hands. That is the sweetest thing ever. I am so happy for you and your family that the boys are doing well and thriving. How hard this whole experience must be for you. Sending hugs your way.

Anonymous said...

That Charlie is all sorts of scandalous, isn't he? :) So happy they are growing!

ThE CrAZy GaTEs! said...

That is so so so darling they held hands!! Those boys are going to be best buds!! So glad they are doing better!! Soon they'll be running around driving you crazy!! Love you guys!!

treadfamily said...

Glad to hear your handsome little boys are doing better. They are so dang cute in those pictures!! I especially love the one of you holding both of them, even though I'm sure that will take some getting used to. You are amazing and I am always thinking about you and your family. We wish we could see you. Love you guys!!