Apr 11, 2013

Hi, My Name is Lindsay,

And I'm addicted to sugar.  I've delayed writing this post because I wasn't ready to admit that I have a problem.  But, I hear the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.  So, here I am. 

I'm pretty sure it all started during early morning seminary in high school.  I would get to school after already being up for 3 hours, head straight to the vending machine, and get a Mountain Dew and one of those awful, yet delicious, pink sugar cookies.  Every day.  But, that is when my metabolism still worked and I could eat about 10,000 calories a day and still weigh 97 pounds.

Then I got married and spent most of the last 5 years looking like this....


Yikes.

Now that I'm 30, my metabolism and energy have plummeted.  I shouldn't eat as much sugar as I used to be able to, but I can't stop myself!  Cookies, cake, pie, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, muffins, chocolate, cereal, brownies...you name it, I love it. 

I have tried quitting.  About a hundred times.  It lasts about a day before the withdrawal-sugar-shakes are too much to handle.  I get headaches and become moody.  Okay, maybe I'm moody anyway, but moody without chocolate is scarier. 

So, I need help.  Is there a 12 step program for sugar addicts?  Do they hand out little coins when you are sugar free for 28 days? 

I want to lose 10 pounds.  I know I can't do it without cutting out most of my sugar.  So, I have diligently finished most of my kids Easter candy so it isn't here to tempt me.  I have sworn off baking and early morning donut runs. Now I need ideas.  How do you stick to it?  What are some good work outs that I can do in 30 minutes or less (that's about how much time I have to myself each day).  And how do I reward myself for good behavior?  I usually use chocolate, so I need ideas for that, too.

Help me.  Please.  I only have one pair of pants that still fit. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok Lady, welcome to the club, I am President of sugar addicts anaymouse. Now, what I do, is replace my chocolate urges with some peanut butter. It's not near the same, but really softens the blow. Try peanut butter, and make some carob powder and coconut shakes every night. (carob is natural chocolate powder but healthier.) seriously, just mix with some coconut and ice and a little bit of greek yougart and you have a chocolate shake. again, not the same, but will soften the blow for the first few days or bad withdrawls. once it's out of your system for a few days, you can move to more fruits and veggies, and you'll start to crave the chocolate less. Be strong, remember how happy you feel when you weigh less. I am down to 125 and I never ever thought I'd be there. And now that I'm here, and I've wanted to be this skinny for the past 10 years, remember every time you have an urge, that you want to defend what you've worked so hard to become. You're a hotty, I comepared myself to your skinny little beautiful butt for years. So got get em tiger!

Unknown said...

Lindsay - I don't have a lot of advice, but I did want to let you know that I cracked up when I read about the pink cookie. Flashback. Sooooooo good.

The only piece of advice I DO have is don't start substituting the artificial sweeteners - the more we learn, the more we shudder ;)

Anonymous said...

You and me both! This week, in a effort to control my problem, I told Scott that I was only allowed one treat a day (ie..one piece of cake, a handful of candy etc..) And only after the kids went to bed. Each time I fail, I have to give him a 20 minute massage. I HATE giving massages. Anywho, I am happy to report I have not had to give him one massage! Scott's not as happy about it as I am. Ha! I couldn't give up treats entirely, I like them too much, so I'm going to have to learn how to control myself. And I figured this would be a good incentive.

steph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

You are funny...I work out so I can eat the sweets. So, therefore, I do not lose weight. But, if you are looking for a killer workout in 30 minutes that you can do at home, try the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It kicks my booty. (a rather large one at that).