I have learned as a mother not to judge other mothers as quickly as I used to. Like when their child would have a meltdown in the grocery store and I would think, "Why can't she control him?", or the mother that loses her child at the park, or the kids with food all over their faces and messy hair.....I totally get it now.....and I'm hoping they judge me less as well. Especially today. Today was pretty much my worst day as a mom so far and I'm hoping that I never top it, but I'm sure I will. Here is the story....
Jack and I were at Target today picking up the essentials. It was pouring when we walked outside...thunder, lightning...the works. I quickly put him in the car so he didn't get soaked and continued to unload the stuff. He climbed up in the front seat to play with the lights. I got everything in the car, threw in my purse and shut the door. That is when I realized that Jack had my keys in his hands and had locked me out. My cell phone was inside also. I tried not to panic and motioned for Jack to unlock the door. He couldn't do it and eventually got his finger stuck in the door handle. He started to cry because he was stuck. Some black guys were near me dancing around their car to some rap music. I almost asked them if they knew how to break into my car but I didn't want to stereotype :) I saw a couple in the parking lot, ran over to them and asked if I could use their cell phone to call Jay. I got a hold of him after 3 tries and he said he was on his way. He was at the library and had to go home and get the extra keys and then drive up to Target. Anyway, I walked back to the car to stay with Jack while he cried and cried and still couldn't get his finger unstuck. A few people walked past and tried to help. One woman didn't speak any English and couldn't help at all so she just stood next to me and patted my shoulder every few minutes. After about half an hour Jay got there and unlocked my car. I opened the door slowly and got Jack's finger unstuck and then I pulled him out. I absolutely lost it at that point and just cried right along with him. So, even though I know they don't read my blog, thank you to the woman who was my silent support, thank you to the man that got a hanger out of his dry cleaning to give to another man that tried to break in to my car, and lastly thank you to Honda for making my car really hard to break into. I appreciate that on all other days besides today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Oh man, that's the worst! I locked Karly in our apartment by herself and I could just hear her in there just crying her eyes out. She also ate tylenol a few weeks ago and had to go to the emergency room, so don't beat yourself up. You're a better mom than me! :) And I hope it's okay I still read your blog even though you moved like 2 years ago. :)
Being a Mom is really hard. You're not a bad Mom, just a normal one. Last week Claire ran away when I was talking to a friend. I didn't think she would go that far. Three blocks with not a care in the world! I was upset to say the least!
This was a 'way beyond your control' moment. Don't beat your self up. Have I told you about the time I locked Anders in the house, and me out of the house,and he was still straped into his car seat? I think it happens to every mom out there.
Bad mom are the ones who purposely hurt their children, like doing drugs during pregnancy or giving kids alcohol before they are old enough. You are nowhere near a bad mother. A good mother in a bad situation.
The homey's totally could have broken into you car, BTW...Honda Civic's are one the list of most stolen cars...(NOT to stereotype...):)
ahhh!!!! i would have done the exact same thing! don't be too hard on yourself! i'm sure every mom has done something like that! i'm just waiting for it to happen to me. tama's only been alive for 6 months so i've still got time! :)
You didn't do anything wrong. It is just one of those things. On the bright side, at least it wasn't 100° outside...
We all go through something similar at one point or another. It is just life with kids.
that is one of my worst fears! It could happen to anyone! I would have done exactly what you did. I'm glad everything worked out okay. You should get twice the flowers for Mother's day after living through that ordeal.
That must have been horrible for you! In no way does this make you a bad mother so get that out of your head!
you make everything sound so exciting! i'm glad it got worked out :)
Oh sweetie! I teared up just reading this. I CANNOT imagine going through this, you did beautifully. You are NOT a terrible mother, you did just what any mother who desperately loves their child would do. I applaud you. You deserve a great mother's day!! :D Glad it all turned out ok. :D
Oh Lindsay! That is the saddest thing ever! I'm glad you and Jack are ok. Poor Jack.
All mothers get a Mother's Day and good mothers, like you, get to rest assured that you're doing a great job. Hope you're all doing well and know that you're loved.
Post a Comment