Jul 26, 2011

Dazed and Confused

I have never smoked pot, so I guess it's true what they say about losing brain cells when you have babies. Or maybe it is all the helium I sucked as a child (let's be honest, as an adult, too). My brain power was bad after Jack, but I had no idea it could get worse after the second baby.

Scenario #1: Jay and I were eating out and they brought out my salad. I looked down at a red circular thing and asked Jay what it was. He replied that it was a beet. I said, "Oh. Is that what they make cranberry sauce out of?" He replied (with a snort and water coming out of his nose) "Nope. They make cranberry sauce out of cranberries." Oy. Beets look alarmingly like canned cranberry sauce. Go look.

Scenario #2: A few months ago I took the boys to the park. When it was time to leave, I got them loaded in, got in the car and started to drive away from the park. From the back seat I hear Jack say, "Um, mom? You forgot to strap me in!" I slam on the brakes to look back at him and he is holding on for dear life to his car seat straps frantically trying to buckle them.

Scenario #3: Once again at the park. Jack was walking and Luke was strapped into the front carrier. I stepped up onto the sidewalk, grossly misjudging the height, and fell straight forward. I did a slow-motion-Jackie Chan roll so I didn't land on the baby, ripped my jeans, tore up my toe, and lost a lot of dignity. Luke remained unscathed. Good thing I said my prayers that morning.

Scenario #4: Today I took the boys for a walk. We went to see the horses, played on the swings, and I had a nice jog. I loaded them into the car, (making sure to buckle them in properly) then I got in and started to back up. Suddenly two women come running at me waving their arms. I stopped, rolled down the window and they told me that the stroller was still behind my car. I forgot to put it in. Sheesh. At least the kids weren't still in it, right?

So, that is enough proof of my stupidity for one day. I am amazed that my own mom can say her ABC's after 8 kids. I'm worried that I will stop functioning if I even think about having another baby.

Maybe brain cells grow back? Please tell me they grow back.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may not have smoked pot KNOWINGLY....so there is still a chance you can blame the pot. People put pot in brownies these days. And I know you love yourself a little brownie :)

treadfamily said...

Wow, I can sadly say that I have done almost all of those exact things. I really do think some days that I have lost my mind. I feel like I am so forgetful. Aren't you glad that your oldest is old enough to remind you sometimes, I appreciate that about Lyss.

And at least our men haven't had babies, so they can remind us. Although sometimes he "tells" me that he told me something already and I forgot (and most the time, I can't remember, ha!)

We miss you guys!!

treadfamily said...

Okay, I haven't done the cranberry thing though:)

Natalie said...

Oh Lindsay, I'm in the same boat! Thanks for the laughs but you also made me blush because I've done all of them. Glad to know I'm not the only one! :D

Amy and Barry said...

Ha ha ha! I laughed out loud at scenario #2. I have many similar stories...more than I care to admit even. I blame it on lack of sleep. You mean, it's not that I'm tired, I've actually lost the brain cells?! For what it's worth, on more than one occasion I have searched the house for my phone explaining to the person I'm talking to (on said "missing" phone), that I can't find it anywhere. Oh, the price we pay! :)

Kir said...

Oh Lindsay, can I follow you around for a day, just to see what you do next? I could some good laughs! Just know that it isn't just because of babies or pot! Trust me! You make me smile!

Emily said...

so far I'm convinced my brain cells are long gone. it's good to know I'm not the only one!

Lisa said...

Oh beets! GROSS! Brain cells? What are those?