Dec 22, 2013

I Should Be Amish

 My parents came mid-November to visit.  It was so fun to have them here, and of course I didn't take any pictures.  I need a photographer to be around all day to take pictures for me. When Jay strikes it rich, or when he dies and I cash in our insurance policy, I think I'll hire a full time picture taker :)

My mom has wanted to visit Amish country since we first moved to the east coast.  Four years later, we finally did it!  Jay took the day off to stay home with the kids and my mom and I got to go up there all alone!  It was so fun! I love my kids, but car trips and sightseeing with them is probably my least favorite thing to do.

I love churches.  Especially little, old, beautiful ones.  Isn't this one amazing?! It has nothing to do with Amish country.  It's just one of the two pictures I actually took on that trip :)


Here is a darling covered bridge surrounded by Amish farms.  I love the peace and the quiet out there!  Only a few cars and lots of hooves clip-clopping on the pavement.  I think I would like to be Amish.  They eat yummy food.  They work really hard.  They don't fuss about worldly things that don't matter. They live close to their families. They have church at home twice a month. I'm all for it.  I wonder if you can be Mormon/Amish?


Everyday when Jay walks in the door after work, all four boys pounce on him.  They scream, they giggle, they yell dad....Sometimes I am a little jealous of his homecomings :)  When I walk in they say, "Oh man...mom's home."  I sound super fun.  


Even the babies get in on wrestling :)


We have had awful/dangerous folding chairs at our table for years.  I really wanted new chairs.  Jay went around all of the thrift stores searching for something for me.  He came home with these.  Not bad, right?  


I decided that I really wanted pink chairs.  Jay was not on board right away, but he quickly realized I was giving him a project...and he LOVES projects.  It was a win for both of us:) I spent almost three hours at one fabric store trying to find the perfect fabric.  I did.




Jay got the chairs done just in time for Thanksgiving!  Jay's brother and family came all the way from Illinois for the week!  We had a great time! My brother and his family came up from VA for dinner.  I love having a house full of people at Thanksgiving!  It is so boring when it isn't a big production :)

Before the food started we had the 1st annual Durrant Turkey Bowl.  It lasted for about 3 minutes before the kids decided they just wanted to run around and dig in the dirt. Plus, it was really, really cold.


Why is it that one of my kids always looks like Sloth from the Goonies when we take pictures?


The kids helped make rolls and that was it.  Since I am a control freak in my kitchen, that's all I could handle. 


We love having family to visit!  We need to move closer to them. It's getting lonely out here.


No comments: